the discovery of the Statuta Officiorum,( the Kingdom of Sicily), it can
be stated that in 1242 the Emperor Frederick the ll of Swabia, initiated
work for the extension of the Castle Lagopesole, the last and greatest
of his structures.
Built on a Norman stronghold, the castle overlooks the entire Vitalba
valley below built of sandstone blocks which till this day preserves the
the fact that Frederick the ll loved hunting and nature, this became his
Its spacious rooms are characterized by the presence of sculptural shelves
that held the pointed arches, embellished also with mullioned windows.
residential area is connected to the south part of the large rectangle
Castle, divided by a wall curtain which is entirely connected from the
residential area through a gallery overlooking the Chapel, which retains
the original portal, that perhaps was designed by one of Frederick’s
ll construction sites worker, Mele di Stagliano.
From the Swabians Angevins and to the Doria-Pamphili, the Castle has undergone
various tampering throughout the centuries.Now owned by the State Property
Office, located inside the National Reserve Anthropological "Coste
Castle", managed and completely restored by the Forest Service of
to the public it has become a container of art.